Key Stage 4 Options
Welcome to the options homepage where you will find all the information you need to make the right choices so you can BE READY for your future.
Below are the key dates for the options process:
Options evening (when students were in Year 8) – Students attended the school and visited all the subjects that the students could choose to develop a greater depth in whilst in Year 9. Students opted for 3 subjects.
21st April 2023
Options assembly where the full process will be discussed with the students.
22nd April 2023
Release date of the electronic options form. This will be electronic form emailed directly to parents/guardians. The form can be submitted multiple times, with the final submission on the deadline date accepted as the final version.
Options booklet (sent last year) will be uploaded onto the school website options page.
8th May 2023 (09.00)
Deadline for submission of the options form. Any submissions after this date may not get the subjects that they want to study for the next 2 years.
After this date, the 4 option blocks will be created based on the students’ selections. Students who do not get their 4 option choices will be spoken to by the Phase 2 team about alternative choices.
End of June 2023
Students will receive confirmation of their GCSE option subjects
Core Curriculum – Most students will study a core compulsory curriculum with exams at the end of Year 11. This curriculum has been designed to meet the Government’s ambition that the majority of students should follow the EBacc pathway. More information can be found about the EBacc here: English Baccalaureate (EBacc) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Therefore, the majority of our students will study a core curriculum of:
· English Language and English Literature
· Religious Studies (GCSE Short course)
· PRSHE (Personal, Relationships, Social and Health Education) – non examined
To follow the EBacc pathway, we would recommend that students opt for;
1) Geography or History
2) French or Spanish (based on the subject you have studied at KS3)
Option Subjects – Please see the information booklet below for further information
· Business Studies
· Computer Science
· Design Technology (GCSE) – Cannot be chosen with Engineering
· Engineering (BTEC)
· Fine Art · Modern Foreign Languages – French or Spanish
· Health and Social Care
· History · Music
· Triple Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics as three discrete GCSE subjects)
Options checklist and Student Advice
· Consider whether your choices are flexible for a variety of routes post 16.
· Think about progression into the Sixth Form where a range of A level and vocational courses are available.
· Think about why you like or dislike subjects.
· Choose a subject just because you like the teacher. You may not have them next year.
· Choose a subject because you think it is easy. All exam subjects will be demanding.
· Choose a subject because your friend is doing it. You may have different career plans and may end up in different groups.
Important information to consider:
· You will be asked for 2 reserve subjects. These may be used in the event that we are unable to offer your chosen combination of subjects.
· We cannot guarantee that you will get exactly what you ask for. This will depend on the demand for each subject and staffing limits. We will design the timetable to match requests but if there is an unexpected demand for a particular subject then the school is not in the position to employ extra teachers to create another class.
· The final decision on which options a student sits rests with the school, although we will always seek to act in consultation with students and parents where possible.