Key Stage 4 Options
GCSE Curriculum 2024-2026
At The Coleshill School, our comprehensive values drive the curriculum. Our aim is to ensure that all young people have access to a broad and balanced curriculum; this curriculum is fully inclusive, enabling students of all abilities to enjoy and achieve as well as equipping them for the demands of the 21st Century world they will enter.
With a three year key stage 3 all students have the opportunity to study a range of subjects. It is now time for you to think about the subjects you wish to continue to develop your knowledge in further, in key stage 4.
All students will follow a bespoke programme of study that will include the compulsory subjects of English, mathematics, science, PE and PSHE. You will also need to pick either geography or history. This will leave you with a range of options based on the assembly and booklet you have received.
There are a number of new subjects that you can choose in Year 10, so make sure you read through this information booklet carefully before opting for your subjects.
Option choices – Please see the information booklet below for further information
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- Design Technology
- Fine Art
- Health and Social Care
- Modern Foreign Languages – French or Spanish
- Philosophy and Ethics
- Triple Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics as three discrete GCSE subjects)
- Thursday 8th February 2024: Information assembly
- Friday 9th February 2024: Options booklet given to students
- Thursday 22nd February 2024: Options Parents Evening
- Friday 23rd February 2024: Online form goes live at 09.00
- Friday 8th March 2024: Online options deadline at 15.10
- April/May – Students spoken to if options not available
Options checklist and Student Advice
- You like the subject!
- You find it interesting
- You enjoy and want to be successful in it
- You have some skill in the subject
- It’s right level of qualification / learning style for you
- It is something you might want to study in 6th Form
- It relates to a career you are interested in
- It’s a sought after subject – Languages
- You do not like the subject!
- You like the teacher but not the subject
- Your friends have picked that subject
- You think it is an easy qualification
Important information to consider:
· You will be asked for 2 reserve subjects. These may be used in the event that we are unable to offer your chosen combination of subjects.
· We cannot guarantee that you will get exactly what you ask for. This will depend on the demand for each subject and staffing limits. We will design the timetable to match requests but if there is an unexpected demand for a particular subject then the school is not in the position to employ extra teachers to create another class.
· The final decision on which options a student sits rests with the school, although we will always seek to act in consultation with students and parents where possible.