The Secretary of State for Education lays down the following terms and conditions on which assistance is given in relation to the pupil premium grant (PPG) payable to schools and local authorities for the financial year beginning 1 April.
PPG provides funding for two policies:
- Raising the attainment of disadvantaged pupils and closing the gap with their peers
- Supporting children and young people with parents in the regular armed forces
Terms on which PPG is allocated to schools
The grant may be spent in the following ways:
- For the purposes of the school ie for the educational benefit of pupils registered at that school
- For the benefit of pupils registered at other maintained schools or academies
- On community facilities eg services whose provision furthers any charitable purpose for the benefit of pupils at the school or their families, or people who live or work in the locality in which the school is situated
The grant does not have to be completely spent by schools in the financial year beginning 1 April; some or all of it may be carried forward to future financial years.