Attendance – Absence Reporting
As a school, we ask that students achieve at least 96% attendance. We recognise that for some this may be a challenging target, therefore we will provide additional support to students and their families to encourage excellent attendance (please see our Attendance Policy to view our intervention strategy for students).
Reporting Same Day Illness
If your child is absent from school due to illness, as a parent or carer you must notify the school each day before 8.30am, via text message to 07860 054 473. You will need to explain fully the reason for their child’s illness. We are unable to accept single-word responses such as unwell or ill.
Students are expected to arrive on time every day to school by 8.40am for registration
The morning register will be taken at 8:45am in Tutor time. Any students who arrive after this time will be coded as L and will be issued with a same day lunch time detention.
Students who arrive after 9:15am will need to enter school through reception and speak directly to the reception staff. The student will be marked as L (Late) and this absence will be marked as unauthorised. If the school is not informed Parents/Carers may receive a truancy text.
If parents are unable to use the text message facility they should email email@example.com.
Attendance Matters – The Main Principles
- There is a direct link between attendance and attainment at school. The Coleshill School is therefore committed to working with parents and carers to ensure all students achieve as high a level of attendance as possible. Students are set a target of achieving at least 96% attendance.
- Parents/Carers have a legal responsibility to ensure that children of compulsory school age attend school regularly. Students should be at school, on time, every day the school is open, unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable.
The Headteacher may require further evidence to authorise an absence and if this is the case the attendance team will be in contact. Medical Evidence will be required in cases of illness which are 5 continuous days or longer.
Where possible, parents are required to arrange appointments outside of school hours, e.g. opticians, dentist, doctor.
If this is not possible, parents should notify the Attendance Team prior to the appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
When emailing the attendance team please include any appropriate evidence to support the absence such as:
- ·Medical appointment card with date, time and name entered
- An appointment letter from a professional such as a hospital Consultant or Psychologist
- Print screen of a text message appointment
If evidence is not provided, then the absence may be marked as unauthorised until evidence is provided.
Request for Leave of Absence during Term Time, including Holidays
Holidays in term time are not allowed in law and are unlikely to be authorised. Family emergencies also need careful consideration. It is not always appropriate or in the best interests of the child to miss school for emergencies which are being dealt with by adult family members. Notifying the school of leave due to a family emergency does not mean it will be authorised.
Parents/Carers can request an application form for leave during term time from the Attendance Team via email email@example.com This request must be submitted at least two weeks before they are due to leave.